Monday, August 8, 2011

Climbing with Owls & Swimming with Lifeguards

We frequently go climbing at a place called the Riverside Quarry.  It isn't the most beautiful place - in fact it is a place where lots of people throw their junk - very sad - but the climbing is excellent for strength training and is close to us.  One Saturday morning (June 25th) we headed there and tackled this route.  It may look easy, but it is my nemesis...


Once at the top of the climb, we looked into the crevasse and saw these:



Three beautiful snowy owls!  It was kind of crazy, because I never knew that owls could hiss so loudly!!  Who said they go "Hoo hoo!"  They definitely were not happy to see us!  In fact, we got a video of them:


 

After our climbing we headed to San Clemente beach.  It was a beautiful day!  The water was warm and so was the sun!  Danny had an amazing time playing in the water, and was so mad when we finally took him away (he was shivering like mad in the end and still didn't want to leave!).  Here are some photos:





The problem with this beach - it is BEYOND rocky...I was getting pelted!



We love this beach because it also has a little swing set and slide - which of course Danny LOVES!  It's nice for him to have several things to do while we're out there.



She's getting so big! I don't know where the time is going!

Danny - always trying to work it with the ladies!  I think this was right before we were leaving...he was ticked.


While Danny was playing on this slide, Kenneth went out for a swim.  I was watching Kenneth and noticed he was drifting out a little bit.  I didn't panic or anything because I know he knows how to get himself out of a rip tide, but I still kept my eye on him just in case.  The lifeguard also saw this and obviously has no idea if a person knows how to get out of a rip tide or not, and went in after Kenneth.  I must say it was kind of interesting seeing a lifeguard run into the ocean and start out knowing he's headed for my husband!  Granted, Kenneth already made the appropriate corrections to his swimming direction and within 3 strokes was much closer to shore and met the lifeguard very quickly.  It was funny to see them both stand up and talk for a minute.  I could just hear Kenneth in my head saying, "Oh no.  I was fine. I realized once I was going out I would need to change my swimming direction to "x" angle and that would bring me back into shore..."  Yeah - this is exactly what he ended up telling me later! Ha! Anyway, so there's a first for Kenneth - an attempted rescue by a lifeguard!  ;)

1 comment:

The Adams Family said...

The lifeguards always pay more attention to the "whitest" of white people... just saying. I heard it straight from a lifeguards mouth.