Monday, April 18, 2011

Story of Emily

I've had some requests for the birth story of Emily, so here it is!  It starts with us going down to San Diego on Thursday the 7th to meet up with Kenneth's parents for a week at their condo on Pacific Beach.  We had a wonderful time hanging out on the beach and taking walks along the boardwalk. On Saturday night Kenneth's dad became ill.  Sunday morning around 12:30 a.m. I woke up with contractions that were pretty strong.  Kenneth ended up vomiting that night, and so did I around 2 a.m.  It was pretty lame having that on top of the contractions!

I was finally able to fall asleep around 4 a.m.  I woke up at 6 a.m. and timed my contractions at 3-5 minutes apart.  They stayed that way for several hours so we decided to head to the hospital.  I was planning on delivering in Fontana (closer to home), but I was definitely not attached to my midwife there, so we decided just to go to the San Diego hospital.  Also, we didn't want to drive all the way back home just to have them turn me away.

Once at the hospital they told me I was 2 cm and contracting every 3 minutes.  The midwife told us to go and walk for about 2 hours, and also told me to try to eat some soup or something since I hadn't eaten anything since the night before.  We go out, and start walking, and stop to get soup - which did not settle well with my stomach!  I felt much better after getting that out!  Nasty, I know.  We head back to the hospital 2 hours later and I was about 3.5 cm.  I was given the option of either being admitted and getting pictocin to help out, or to go home.  We decided to be admitted.  Not only were we anxious to meet out little girl, but it was also VERY convenient timing.  Kenneth's parents were there and were able to watch Danny for us, and this way they would also be able to see her before heading home to Utah.

After being admitted I was given antibiotics for 4 hours and then was given Pictocin at 6:15 p.m.  Kenneth and I hung out and slept for a little bit.  I was having lots of contractions, but couldn't feel them! Apparently I have a higher pain tolerance than I ever thought I did.  The nurses thought I was weird because I was always smiling through these crazy contractions. :)  Around 1 a.m. on the 11th I was feeling a little uncomfortable so I opted to get my epidural before it was too late!  I feel back asleep until 4:15 a.m.  At that point the midwife came to check my progress and I was 4.5 cm and my water broke.  Just about 10 minutes later I started feeling more and more pressure.  A nurse came in to check my vitals and I let her know.  The midwife came back in the check me and I was already at 10 cm!  Talk about progressing quickly!


I ended up pushing only 3 times and Emily was out!!  I was very happy to finally find out that she was, infact a GIRL!  Haha!  It was also amazing to be able to hold her after she was born.  With Danny he was taken pretty much immediately to get worked on, so it was quite the experience being able to hold my little girl, and to spend that immediate family time together after her birth.

Emily's final stats are as follows:

*Born 2 weeks early*
Weight: 5lb. 13.2 oz.
Height: 20 inches 
Head Circumference: 12.5 inches
Belly: 12.5 inches

She was born to tons of dark hair, and she reminds me a lot of Danny when he was born - especially her nose and mouth.  She is a great eater and sleeps pretty well!  Hopefully that continues to get better and doesn't head in the other direction.  Here are lots of fun pictures!







Emily with Grandma Noyce

Daddy & Daughter


Emily & Grandpa Noyce

My 3 kids! ;)

Emily's first outing (the day we came home from the hospital) to the beach!

as
First family photo!

When we were released from the hospital, Emily's weight was down to 5lb 6oz.  At her doctor's appointment this last Friday she was down to 5 lb. 5.7 oz.  They weighed her again today and she was 5lb. 5.2 oz.  Her doctor is watching her closely because by 2 weeks old, she needs to back up to her birth weight.  Well, I think that is all of the updates so far!  Look back here for more info and pictures!!

4 comments:

Karen said...

I love the adorable photos, and your journaling makes your blog so fun! Thanks for taking time to keep us connected:)
Lot of love,
UT Mom

Luke&Megz said...

Ams you are super woman! Smiling through contractions?! :) Your labor sounds so similar to mine when I had Brock..progessing quickly at the end and pushing 3 times. Isn't it so fun to have a little girl? She is so cute! You are an adorable mom too, love all the pics!!

Nate and Ellen said...

Great story!!!! Were so glad that everything went well for you guys!!!! She's a little cutie!

PaA-Lito said...

I can't wait to be with her in person. soon!