Thursday, March 26, 2009

This Rocks!!

So, yesterday we had some fantastics happenings!

First of all, the local radio station out here, X96 is doing this contest where they play a specific song at the top of the hour from 7 am to 5 pm. Just after 5pm you call in and for every song you get correct you get $96. Plus if you have their X96 card you get an additional $40 for a grand total of $1000. So, when Kenneth picked me up yesterday he was on the phone and he said he was trying to win us some money although he doubted it would work...THEN all of the sudden he said, "It's ringing!!" He totally got through and got ALL of the songs right!! WHOO HOO! Thank you for the random $1000 check that will be in our hands in 3 weeks!! We were so stoked!!

It was really funny because my friend at work in going to Jamaica for a week for only about $900 (flight, hotel, and 7 nights included). I have been so antsy for warm weather and more specifically, the BEACH! I want to go SO badly! I spoke with Kenneth during the day and told him that if we had $ that's what I would want to do before I got too big-in-the-belly. How hilarious is it that we just won enough money to do the trip!! Granted, we are WAY too practical and will just put the $ in savings for our funds for a) the baby or b) to add on to our house starting in May. Either way though we were SOO excited! Go Kenny!

Switching modes here, yesterday evening I was able to attend the Sterling Scholar Award ceremony for Kenneth's brother Steven. Steven is an absolute GENIUS! Let me tell you - he hasn't even graduated high school yet, and he is taking over a PhD program at BYU researching nano tubes and MEMs (I think that is what they are called). An EIGHTEEN year old is becoming the expert of the PhD program at BYU! WHOA! Anyway, the Sterling Scholar program looks at student who excel in school, service and extracurricular activities. They have to make a ridiculously complex portfolio and go through extensive and often intimidating interviews as well. Steven ended up being the runner up in the science category!! Go Steven!! It was hilarious because after the ceremony we were talking and he said, referring to the winner, "I beat him last year in the science fair!" - and today they are judging the science fair for 2009 - everyone kept saying, "Don't worry Steven - we'll see who REALLY wins tomorrow!" Was high school like this for anyone else? My high school SURE was different! Anyway, congrats Steven on being the brilliant, hard working kid we all know you to be!

4 comments:

AubreyB said...

Congratulations! I would love to win some $ like that. :)

argylesocks said...

That is awesome. I have never one anything on the radio. Scott won some money once but not nearly that much. I am so excited for you.

Stacie S-H said...

OMGOSH that is soo crazy & way cool! I just won the pay your bills contest on 101.5 Jamz here in Az...they are paying my rent and utilities! yeah yeah :D

Mark Nott said...

That's awesome!! I listen to the morning show podcast, never live, so I could never win, that's crazy you even got through!!

PS - thanks for going public, it's way easier to follow you