Friday, June 27, 2008

Bugs in Utah?

So I have always loved Utah because there are fewer bugs than California...and I LOVE not being eaten alive by mosquitos! My opinion quickly changed (about the bugs, not about me loving Utah) when Kenneth and I went hiking and rock climbing this last Wednesday.

We went up City Creek Canyon, which is just by the State Capital. I LOVE Utah for the fact that we can go hiking and rockclimbing just 5 minutes from our house, and therefore can go after work on the weekdays. It is GORGEOUS up there, and we hiked up about 15 minutes to the cliffs for a quick climb. The hike was easy at first and then towards the top it got REALLY steep! Thank goodness someone had anchored a rope in so I could pull on it...but the rope did not go far enough! It took me like 5 minutes to go the last 20 feet! I have a real fear of falling on my butt while hiking up, and especially while climbing down. Anyway, we finally reached our destination, and realized that along the way my body was DEVOURED by mosquitoes! My arms, legs, face, feet and neck were itching like crazy! I tried to display some self control and NOT scratch them...but I learned I have none! Anyway, we did our climb which worked me pretty well. It was incredibly fun though! After we did the one climb we gathered our stuff and made our way back through the bug infested woods. Don't even worry...it took me about 15 minutes to get down the 20 feet this time! No...I'm dead serious! Thank goodness for good hikes and climbs...and bug repellant...which we will DEFINITELY have to remember in the future!

No comments: