Monday, August 18, 2008

Hawaii Part I

Alright! I'm finally getting around to my posts about Hawaii! So here we go!
Tuesday, August 5th
On Tuesday we flew out of Salt Lake around 12 noon on Delta. We managed to get a direct flight to Oahu which was WONDERFUL considering it is already a 6 1/2 hour flight and Hawaii is 4 hours behind Utah. The flight went well, except for the massive headache I got by the end. We watched the new Narnia movie and also "Fools Gold" while in flight. We arrived in Honolulu around 2:30 pm Hawaii time.

As soon as we got there we rented our car, got in our hotel and then HIT THE BEACH! It was pretty dang convenient that the beach was 1/2 a block from our hotel! We just ended up doing some body surfing that first night.




Wednesday, August 6th

Because we were trying to stick as much to Utah time as possible, we woke up at 5 am Wednesday morning (yes, it sounds early, but the night before we went to bed at like 9 pm. And YES, I know that sounds pathetic!). We ended up hiking Diamond head that morning.






After hiking we received the surf and boogie board we rented for 4 days and hit the beach! We stayed in Waikiki for awhile, but the waves were SOO small, so we headed to another beach called White Plains which was amazing! The waves were just my size (though Kenneth would have liked them bigger) and it was more of a local beach so there weren't many people there at all. Unfortunately we don't have pictures of this day, though we've got some coming up later in the week.

Thursday, August 7th
Come Thursday we were still on our 5 am wake-up schedule. So we woke up and drove up to the North Shore where we were going SKYDIVING that day! We were like an hour early once we got there, so we found a little beach and just laid out...while I tried to get some more sleep in.



UNFORTUNATELY it costs MORE to get the DVD or photos than it was to actually GO sky-diving...and they wouldn't let us take our camera...LAME! But, it was absolutely AMAZING! I was a little nervous before we got in the plane, but once we started flying I was more nervous for Kenneth than for me! I was at the back of the plane and Kenneth was sitting on the floor right by the door...with the door open! I was freaking out because I didn't know if he was strapped to his tandum partner, and I was SO nervous! Plus, (yes, I'm silly) I was worried because I didn't get to tell him I loved him before we jumped! What if one of us had died! I wanted it to be the last thing I said to him...but alas, the plane was too noisy and he was too far away. It was pretty cool seeing him jump out though. When I jumped it was SO awesome! It wasn't at all scary like I thought it would be, and no, it doesn't make your stomach feel weird like a roller coaster does...I don't know why, but it doesn't.

So, can I just tell you...skydiving in Hawaii is the best, and I recommend it to all! The views were spactacular! The airport was right next to the ocean, so you see the beautiful ocean and the amazing mountains. You can see the entire island! We ended up jumping from 14,000 ft. and fell for a full minute before the parachute opened. It was SOO COOL!! I'm sad we don't have any pictures though :-(

After skydiving we headed to the Dole Plantation to have some of their famous pineapple ice-cream. It was delicious!



After the Dole Plantation we headed to the Polynesian Cultural Center where we walked around the different villages and also went to the luau that evening. I'll wait to post my photos from that for tomorrow because this post is already WAY TOO LONG! Until tomorrow then!

5 comments:

James and Monica said...

I'm SOO jealous!! Looks like you had a blast. I've always wanted to go skydiving, but I hate that stomach feeling, so it's good to know that you don't get it skydiving! I can't wait to see more pictures.

Becca said...

So jealous! I wish I'd known you were going, my sister lives in Honolulu and works at a restaurant in the Ala Moana shopping center.

Becca said...

Sorry, meant to say, she's a chef in a restaurant. Free food!

Heather said...

So fun! Oh man! I was hoping you had pictures of skydiving! I woulda totally gone into debt for those pictures... lol... but you know me... ;) I can't wait for part 2!

Rachel N said...

Holy COW Amy! That sounds SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AMAZING! I'm so glad you have a blog so I can see fun Hawaii pictures! It is way too bad that they wouldn't let you take pictures of the skydiving! Your discription almost made me want to go....ALMOST. I'm glad you had fun! YOu deserved it!