Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Hawaii Part III

Hello again! Continuing on our adventure...
Saturday, August 11th
Our Saturday was full of just swimming, surfing, boogie boarding, and laying out in the sun. I got HORRIBLY sunburned that day! I seriously could not sleep that evening because I was so burned on my legs and back! Ouch! I forgot to bring pictures from this day, so I will add them tomorrow.




Sunday, August 10th
On Sunday, we found a local ward to go to for church. It was interesting because there were SO many cultures and languages! One of the speakers was Tongan and Kenneth had the hardest time understanding him...I guess it was a bonus that I grew up around so many! It was crazy to see on the program that there were like 6 Sunday School classes...each in a different language! It was awesome! The church buildings there are great because they are so open (just like everything!) We got a couple of pictures of the reflection pool and also a wonder mosaic of the Savior.

After church we went to Pearl Harbor. I always love going there. I LOVE learning about WWII history, so I eat everything up! It is so sombering to think about the men who lost their lives, and how that tragic day effected the United States of America, and the world as a whole. I love to think of those times and how a tragic event brought the US together in such an incredible way. I love going out to the Arizona Memorial and think about the men who lived and died so triumphantly that day. Going on the Arizona Memorial is a crazy thing. The feeling there is so peaceful, and everyone is asked to remain silent to respect the tomb we are above. There are about 1,000 men who are buried within the sunk ship. Here are a few pictures from the memorial itself:
Portions of the ship that can be seen above the water

A plaque with the dedication of the US Arizona
The beautiful wall which lists all the names of the men who lost their lives that day, not only from the US Arizona, but other ships as well.
Kenneth in front of the flags of the various US ships

After going out to the memorial, we spent some time in the museum. There is SO much stuff in there, and I LOVED it all! I love museums and we're the nerds who sit there for hours (literally) reading everything there is.

This was a model of the overall memorial and also the ship underneath it:
This is a picture of one of the torpedos! They actually found it just in like 2002 underneath all the sand and silt. It was still active and way corroded, so they decided to take it out in the middle of the ocean and detonate it. This is what remained after it was detonated. Crazy cool huh??

The anchor from the US Arizona

1 comment:

Heather said...

I LOVE WWII TOO!!! It is my favorite event in history to learn about! I loved learning about Pearl Harbor too... I remember going there in 2004... it truly is a somber and sacred place.