Monday, September 29, 2008

Good Times

So, can I just say...I LOVE the weekends! This weekend was great! We just hung out on Friday at home, and on Saturday morning, Kenneth did some yard work, while I cleaned inside. Then, that afternoon we got together with out dinner group for lunch. I always love our dinner groups and look forward to them! It is so fun to get together with friends and to get updated on things going on in our lives, and to see how much the babies have grown since the month before! Love it! Afterwards Kenneth and I went rockclimbing...he did 1 climb - an 11d, and I attempted a 10d or something...Kenneth completed his, and I only made it half way up mine, but we were both SOO sore afterwards!

Saturday evening I attended the General Relief Society Broadcast. It was amazing! I learned a lot of things, and it really gave me an extra desire to try to be better. Here are so highlights from the different talks:

Sister Julie B Beck

We need to understand the mission of Relief Society, which is to organize, teach and inspire Heavenly Father's daughters to prepare them for the blessings of eternal life. She then gave 3 things we need to focus on:

1. Increase in faith and personal righteousness
2. Strength our families and home
3. Serve the Lord and his children

Sister Silvia H Allred

Sister Allred spoke about the importance of temple and how we need to return often to continue to learn, and to prepare to go if we have not been able to yet.

Sister Barbara Thompson

Sister Thompson spoke about how we need to be devoted to Relief Society, and how if we are, then we will be able to do extraordinary things.

President Uchtdorf

President Uchtdorf spoke about how women often undervalue their abilities, and how we need to focus on our accomplishments rather than how we should have been better. He said that we need be happy, have peace and joy in spite of burdens we are asked to bear. He said that in order to achieve God's happiness we can work on the following 2 things:

1. Creating something beautiful - doesn't mean being able to paint, sing, or play the piano. Rather, we need to create things of beauty, something that was not there before - a home that is organized and where love can be felt, a garden, creating laughter, generating smiles, etc. He also told us to not let critics paralyze you EVEN IF IT COMES FROM WITHIN. I know I have major issues with that, and is something I am trying to work on.

2. Being compassionate - he stated the following quotes which I LOVED:

"Work will cure your grief - serve others!" - President Hinckley
"Those who bring the light of sunshine to others cannot keep it from themselves."
"Often small acts of service are enough to uplift and stregthen another." - President Monson

He also noted that the Savior did not care to have others notice him, and did not compete with others - another thing I need to work on...

Anyway, those are some of my thoughts. I am so happy that I went and that I was able to feel the Spirit as God's chosen people spoke, and I cannot wait for General Conference this upcoming weekend!

Lastly, Sunday we had church (excellent!) and that evening our friends Danny & Heather came over for dinner, chatting, and games. It was so much fun! Good times!

4 comments:

Luke and Megz said...

You are such a neat girl I just love ya. :) You guys are so fun, always adventurous...luke and I were joking the other day how neither of us are adventurous at all, our idea of adventure is picking something new on the menu when we go out to dinner..haha. i'm only kind of joking. Having a baby will be a big adventure though I'm sure. I'm glad you guys are doing good!!

Stacie S-H said...

always awesome to hear about your wknds! I love rock climbing/rappelling but I'm not very good at it - prob bc I only go do it 1x a yr @ Camp Ritchie! haha...sweet about the RS broadcast, I didnt watch it yet & so it was great to get a recap! im totally looking forward to conference too

Kendall and Melissa said...

Sure miss you guys and getting to come to dinner group! We have such a great group together. Glad to hear you are doing good. You are such a great and optimistic person!

Kristina said...

Thanks for posting your notes from conference! Eric's cousin left on his mission today, so this weekend was packed with fun family stuff and I kind of forgot about conference. It sounds like it was really good though.