Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Women! Please step forward!

Alright...so, I am having issues with my HAIR! I hate my hair - seriously, with a passion. I need some advice, so ladies (and willing gentlemen...I don't think there are many of you out there) please step forward!

Now, just as a reminder for those of you who haven't seen me in awhile, my hair is:
- brown
- very thin
- a weird mix between curly and wavy
- gets frizzy very easily
- has NO body whatsoever
- needs to be something easy to do, otherwise I just won't do it (hence the constant pony-tail...UGLY!)
- other note to consider - I have a big forehead and have gone back and forth between side-swooping bangs (short and long).

SO - now that you're equipped with that knowledge...WHAT SHOULD I DO?!? I wanted to grow my hair out long because I see all these women with GORGEOUS long hair, and I want it...but I still don't ever do anything with it, and it takes like a year to grow 3 inches (no lie). Plus, the summer is coming up, and I'm having a baby, so many having long hair isn't the best option...

So, help me consider the following:

Options:

HAIR LENGTH
1) short (right at shoulders)
2) medium length (about 2 inches past shoulders)
3) long

HAIR STYLE
1) cut straight across
2) long layers
3) short layers

BANGS
1) full bangs
2) short side swooping bangs (hit the brow level)
3) long side swooping bangs (that can be pulled back)
4) no bangs at all

PLEASE respond and give me your opinion on these issues. I have a friend who has absolutely GORGEOUS hair, and I want my hair to look exactly like theirs, but alas...our hair is so different. So I hesitate to just take a photo into the salon and say, "make me look like her" because I know it won't work. So PLEASE give me your opinions!! I don't want ugly hair anymore!

Also, if anyone knows of any killer hair products that won't kill my budget, please let me know! What can you not live without?

4 comments:

argylesocks said...

I am so with you on the pony tail issue. I have easy to work with hair but I am not willing to hassle with it. I will tell you one thing though. After having a baby, it is really nice having hair that you can pull back out of the way when you are just hanging out at home trying to get stuff done, at least if you are like me it is nice to have no hassle hair that can look good. I have in no way mastered that one. One thing that helps a lot with body that sounds completely strange is baby powder. Weird, I know. If you dump a tiny bit into your palm and then rub it through from the roots back (you have to keep rubbing until it seems to disappear). This is also helpful if your hair is starting to get oily and you don't have time to wash it (not that I have ever experienced that). Okay, this is the longest comment I have ever left, which is ridiculous coming from me, the master of the ponytail and bun. Good luck. And I have never thought your hair was ugly.

Unknown said...

cut off all your hair. if it's short, it's way way faster to do, plus you can't be tempted to put it in a pony tail so you at least have to semi style it. the curly/wavy would be perfect with a really short bob (chin length) + swoopy bangs. you could leave your hair curly, or straighten it, both just using some basic product, and take 2 seconds to straighten your bangs...

Heather said...

There are pro's and con's to this. Short is WAY easy to do and really fast AND it makes your face look skinnier (along with pulling it back).

Having it long, like Martha said, is WAY nice to just pull it back on those crazy mom days. However, if you get it short you're not tempted to pull it back, like blair said.

I go between long and short all the time. I buy the sunsilk no frizz shampoo and condition. It helps, but I also flat iron it for help in that area. For volume, use moose. Hard to work with at first, but once you find your correct amount, it's amazing stuff.

Bangs, they make you look younger. However, in my case, I don't want to look younger. But I like them anyway to help give my hair and face some shape. Styling ideas, trying doing different parts... sides, middle. Change it up!

Layers are nice to help add body. They give dimension to your hair. Look at some hair styles online and try combining some. Get hair magazines. Some are pretty eccentric but they have some good techniques, hints, tips and advice.

Good luck!

Ashley said...

I'm just going to say that swoop bangs are my favorite-you can put them down and pull them up-great variety. Also, for body to your hair..have you straightened it? (You probably have but I can't remember). I have the body issue and when I straighten and spray it usually works for a little bit..Honestly, I am at a loss when it comes to hair advice.. good luck!