Monday, July 7, 2008

Happy 4th of July!

Sun Dial Peak & Blanche Lake


...in a very non traditional way.

Kenneth and I have been planning a backpacking trip up to Sun Dial peak for some time now. We did the hike last summer when we came home from Alaska, and we wanted to camp up there and actually climb Sun Dial Peak. So, Thursday after work we packed up and headed out! Kenneth's friends from Snow College, Ben & Jenalynn were in town from AZ so they came with us for part of the hike up. It was really fun to see them again, and it was fun to see Kenneth get so excited to see old friends!

The hike up was beautiful! I love how gorgeous and green Utah is as soon as you get up in the mountains! We just took it slow - since I'm not really used to backpacking - and chatted the whole way up. Eventually Ben & Jenalynn had to head back down to get to their car by dark, so Kenneth and I continued on our own. We soon reached the top, and I think I can now claim Sun Dial Peak as one of my favorite spots in SL County! Sun Dial Peak itself is huge and gorgeous and there is also a beautiful lake up there, Lake Blanch and TONS of waterfalls! GORGEOUS! I love it! Once there, we quickly set up camp and got some much needed sleep.

The next day we got up, packed up our gear and hiked to the base of Sun Dial Peak for the rock climbing portion of our trip. The climb was 4 pitches (which means 4 lengths of the rope). The climb was fun and the view was spactacular! I did get a little nervous on some portions of the climb (Kenneth only told me AFTERWARDS that most people get too scared to do a climb like what we did...Alpine climbing it's called...). Overall though it was great! We finally finished rock climbing around 4:30...and we still had to hike the 3 miles down to the car! Phew! Let me just tell you...I was NOT excited about putting that pack back on!

We started down the mountain side and I was starting to feel the pain! My feet, knees, back, hips...everything! We were certainly dead by the end of the hike! I felt like an old woman because I was so hunched over!

After we reached our car (we were SO happy!) we headed straight down to Highland to spend the evening with Kenneth's family. We had burgers, and Kenneth and I rested on the couch with our little nephew while everyone else went to watch fireworks...yup, that's right...we didn't even watch fireworks on the 4th of July! Don't blame me though...I couldn't even walk outside!

Well, that is the extent of our weekend. Kenneth did a test on Saturday, and I rested and cleaned. Then Sunday we had church and I took like a 4 hour nap! Ridiculous! It was SUCH a fun weekend though...I just hope I recover by this upcoming weekend for our next hike!

1 comment:

Megan said...

That's sad that you missed fireworks but it sounds like a fun weekend!! You'll have to make up for it on the 24th!