Wednesday, July 15, 2009

NICU Day #10



So, today is Danny's 10th full day in the NICU. I cannot believe how well my baby is doing! I know all the prayers out there in his behalf are helping a TON! Here is the update:

- feeding up to 26 cc every 3 hours
- off antibiotics
- will most likely be able to take him off his "Vitamin Water" and supplemental lipids and protein solution today...this means NO MORE IV IN HIS HEAD!!
- maintaining body temperature well
- now weighs 5lb. .5 oz.
- learning how to properly latch and suck better every day

This is VERY exciting news!! I talked with the nurse this morning and she said that the only thing he needs to do now before he can come home is learn how to nurse properly!! YEAH! Granted, this still may take anywhere from a week to a couple of weeks. It just depends on how Danny does. The doctor mentioned this morning that Baby Danny has been through QUITE the ordeal thus far. As such, he is just barely waking up (seriously, his eyes are open all the time now and he is much more alert) and may take a little while to learn how to do it all...he is just so tired overall! Anyway, once he gets the latching part down (which he is doing pretty well at), then it is learning how to suck. He sucks once or twice as it is, and then just kind of sits there. His cheek muscles aren't very developed though, so it is really tiring for him. After that, then he needs to get the swallowing action down. Most babies don't develop these muscles and reactions until about 36 weeks, and since he was early, it may just take a little longer. We'll see.

Anyway, please continue your prayers in his behalf. I know that with enough faith from all of us he will continue to grow and progress as he should. The faster he does that, the faster he will be home!! I can't wait!

P.S. I can't wait to get the doctor's OK to exercise...I want to get out there and do some serious hiking and climbing. I can't wait to look like this again:




(my "look we're prego" picture)

5 comments:

Kendall and Melissa said...

I'm so happy for you guys. Before you know it he will be home and you'll just stare at him and think, I can't believe you are really mine. I thought at first that the pictures of you were right now and I was going to be sick! I'm glad that you aren't THAT skinny yet. :) It just wouldn't be fair. haha

Heather said...

LOL... I AGREE WITH MELISSA! I thought that those pictures were of you NOW... I was going to be so mad! LOL... jk... but i would be really jealous!

Yah for Danny! I'm so happy he's getting so big and growing so well! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

Becca said...

Exciting news! He is doing so well. We're cheering for you Danny!

Deb Nott said...

I am super excited for you and I agree with Melissa too! Just remember that when you can start exercising... 9 months out... at LEAST 9 months in. : )

PaA-Lito said...

Go, Go, Go, Go Grandson!

GrandPaA